Zest Staff
Industry News

What is coinsurance?

After you meet your deductible, you’re responsible for coinsurance: a percentage of the cost of covered services. (It’s a little like a copay, but instead of a flat fee, it’s a percentage of the total cost.)

Let’s say you’ve met your deductible and you have 20% coinsurance. You go in for an office visit, which is billed at $100. You’re responsible for paying 20%, and your insurance provider pays $80 –– the remaining 80%.

Depending on if you get in-network or out-of-network coverage, your coinsurance percentage will likely vary. (In-network is always better if you’re concerned about cost.) For more information, contact the Zest concierge at 866.333.4725.

Zest Staff
Helping folks navigate their healthcare, so benefits are actually beneficial.