Our favorite registered dietitian Lisa Perry sent us a dinner recipe she makes often: shrimp tacos and cabbage slaw with lime vinaigrette. Now it can be your dinner, too.
Don’t like shrimp? Lisa suggests shredded cooked chicken. A rotisserie chicken is a good option if you’re pressed for time.
Cabbage slaw with lime vinaigrette
- 1 bag coleslaw mix without dressing, or small purple cabbage
- small sliced onion
- 1 T fresh cilantro, chopped if desired
Toss cabbage and onion together. Add fresh cilantro. Set aside.
- 1-2 T fresh lime juice
- 2 T olive or avocado oil, olive has a stronger flavor
- ¼ – ½ t ground cumin
Combine ingredients and shake well. Add salt and pepper to taste. If it’s too tart, add 1 t honey.
Shrimp tacos (serves 8)
- 1 lb medium, peeled, deveined raw shrimp
- ½ t cumin
- ¼ t cayenne pepper
- ¼ t ancho chili pepper
- ¼ t onion powder, garlic powder, or both
- Whole wheat or corn tortillas
- Olive or avocado oil for pan
- Taco mix-ins of your choice: salsa, avocado, tomato, corn
Heat tortillas according to package instructions. Keep warm until shrimp is done.
Toss shrimp in spices. Heat pan on medium-medium high. Add oil. Cook shrimp about 2 minutes per side. Remove from heat. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro and squeeze of lime juice. Top with cabbage slaw and your favorite mix-ins.